Kaffe Fassett is in the House

Have there been two moons in the sky? Nope. There was the most beautiful full moon at the beginning of this month, The Pink Moon I believe it was called by the indigenous American peoples. There was a definite pink glow around this one, it was a very pretty moon. I have a wee thing I do with the moon, I will tell you at the end. There weren't two moons in the sky, but I have two finishes very close together. I present to you, the finished Kaffe Fassett snowball quilt, formerly known in time of stress as the Kaffe Fokkett quilt. I have to find a new name now I suppose.


This quilt was started last March at a workshop run by Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably run by The NIPG (N Ireland Patchwork and Quilting Guild). I blogged about it here at the time. It was a long day, a full on day. By the end I had acquired a design wall, the bones of my quilt and had got to know some of my fellow guild members much more. A great day all in.



I had great intentions, as I always do, to finish this quilt "in a timely fashion". I made a Liberty quilt for my new granddaughter, well that was essential. I knit a load of stuff. I made some other stuff.


 I dabbled with the quilt every now and again. I set myself a deadline of Christmas to finish it.


Christmas was oh so close to a finish. I was down to the binding and sewing in the gazillion loose ends from the quilting. I did proper quilting in this. I quilted in different directions and did some sort of made up quilting patterns, all set within the border. The problem with this is there are millions of starts and finishes. Loads of ends to be sewn in. As it got nearer Christmas and family coming home, I admitted defeat. I had baby and toddler knits to finish for presents. I trimmed the edges and thought it would go on the bed anyway. My husband rebelled at that. One of the life differences between us is this. To me nearly finished is finished enough. To him nearly finished is not finished. Not even near a finish. He probably knows, wisely, if it went on the bed, it would never be finished.



It went over the back of a chair, just to show it off, neatly folded to be duly admired. In the way of family things it got shifted to the floor. My toddler grandson was running the circuit of the room, he is potty training, and you know what happened. Uh oh Mummy, I had a wee wee. The lovely thing about Kaffe Fassett fabric is it crinkles beautifully when washed and tumbled and  no harm was done. And so the quilt sat there  for another month or two.



Come quarantine, and there is all the time in the world to finish up these things. And so I proudly present the Kaffe Fassett quilt, formerly known as Kaffe Fokkett quilt.

I had the corner snowball fabric for the binding, a black/dark purple with a bright purple spot.


 It wasn't singing out to me though, and mantra these days is, you have to love it. I love bright bindings. I have some bright orange orange and white Rose and Hubble spot and it was perfect. Just as well, it was all there was.



My photos are , surprise, surprise, all taken again in the back garden. If I get another couple of finishes, you will see my garden through the seasons.




No visits to the garden centre unfortunately, but making the most of what we have.
The story of the full moon. At one stage all 3 of my children were in the same city in England. When there was a full moon, I used to look up and think, "under this full moon be thee and me". When my son went to USA, I used to think, "under this full moon, wherever we be, are thee an me." I never told any of them, and I eventually did. They all thought this was really nice. The quirks of motherhood! One of their favourite books as children was "I will love you to the moon and back" by a local author Sam McBratney. There is little nut brown hare and big nut brown hare. Little nut brown hare tells big nut brown hare how far he loves him. But you know what? No matter how far, big nut brown hare loves little nut brown hare further.

Stay Safe
Stay Home
Stay Alive

Helen x
#coultersathom
linking up with Finished Or Not Friday and Alyciaquilts.blogspot.com
linking up with TGIFF and Chrisknitssews
linking up with Can I have a whoop whoop and confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Well done on the finish. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the finish. I think the complimentary orange binding frames the blues and purples of the top beautifully. And I love your sentiments about being under the same moon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your finishes are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,so.pleased to see this finished in such a gorgeous way. I was very impressed when I saw this IRL prior to quilting. The colour choices and quilting are beautiful..well done my lovely friend x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful finish! I like the orange spot binding it sets the quilt off and pulls in the colours in the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some quilts just get those endearing nicknames (ahem) while we're working on them, right? I think your KF turned out just lovely. Love the story about the moon and your sentiments with your children. I feel the same about mine, no matter where they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so lovely and cheerful! and your photos just really set it off!! Wonderful finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a favourite book of ours when my girls were little. Dayna still loves that saying and has it engraved on a photo frame of her and Tyler now. They say it to each other and she and I still say it to each other from time to time too. I love your moon story. I didn’t have that exquisite rhyme but I often would do the same with the moon when I lived in Ontario in the 80s and all my family was 2000 miles away in Alberta. Oh how I love the Fassett quilt! Worth all the muttered Focketts I’d say. The orange binding is spot on (pun intended). Well done you! And a sunny day to show it off. I can imagine myself having a cuppa with you there, I can! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a spectacular finish, Helen!!! This was definitely worth the wait. Hope you are staying safe and sane. Big Hugs from far away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.