Hello My Old Friend

Hello my old friend, this period in quarantine is the perfect opportunity to finish off all these straggling wip. My Liberty EPP (English paper piecing) has been my friend for a very long time. Now, it isn't necessarily what you think. I could say this has been on the go for many years because it is all hand pieced, but in reality, it has been dipped in and out of.



Today I had another look at it. I have been sewing all the flowers together for the last while, off and on. Over the weekend I have really been going at it. So today I laid it out on the grass, fully expecting to be at the a flimsy finish. It was a bit of a shock to discover I still have a fair bit to go. I really thought I was ready for putting together the quilt sandwich. I ordered some wadding from the Village Haberdashery and it arrived Easter week.

This quilt isn't for a bed. This quilt is for ME. A quilt for me to snuggle under whilst watching tv on the sofa, or sitting out in the garden. It doesn't need to be huge, but it does need to be bigger than some of my other quilts. My husband complains most of my lap quilts are too small for him, I am just over 5 ft, I have no problem with them.

So the hexie making will continue for another while, maybe another row both vertically and horizontally will be it. I haven't actually measured it, that might be too depressing. I do have a finite amount of Liberty fabric. It isn't cheap. Some of my Liberty comes from Liberty, some has been presents from my daughter and daughter in law respectively. Some comes from Shaukat on the Old Brompton Road, London. They sell Liberty fabric a bit cheaper, and sell offcuts. I never go past without buying something, heaven only knows when the next time will be.

I have another 3 flowers ready to sew on.



I have 3 more lots of  hexies nearing a stage to sew around the central grey hexie.



I have a meter of this lovely gold fabric. I am not quite sure why I bought this. I think I had some vague hope of making a top for myself. Realistically that will never happen, I think I can spare a 2.5" strip from it.


I do have some other fabrics, but I have kept to try to a light floral tone. Some of the offcuts I have are darker in tone, paisley patterned. I can always double up on the flowers, that won't be a problem in some cases. I also still have another Liberty EPP on the go . These have both made a right dent in my Liberty fabric basket , which can only be a good thing .




Miraculously this post can link up with Sandra's squirrels. How come? I hear you ask. This project is a bit old hat. Aha! Every quilt has a backing. Thinking I was nearing the end, I was thinking about the backing. I saw a Tilda floral in the online shop of a local quilt tutor. I think she mostly sells fat quarters though, I did email to check, but I think the email went rogue. In the meantime, inspiration struck. I have this bag of my husband's old shirts.

He retired a few years ago, and unlike me, he doesn't wear his clothes to the death and then some. He also had a penchant for expensive, locally made, cotton shirts. The collars and cuffs wore out first, so I had been literally squirreling these away for some time. I am sure these would make a nice soft backing for my quilt.


Do you think I will have a finish for Friday? For the end of lockdown? For the summer? Watch this space.

Helen x

Comments

  1. I love how you put end of lockdown before the summer ... I do hope chronologically they aren't the other way about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those shirts are going to be a wonderful backing to the soft Liberty on the front!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think you are onto something using the shirts for a backing! What fun! And a quilt just for you! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes those shirts will make a wonderful backing for your own special quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Light airy and luxurious on top, solid and yet soft on the back, this will be a perfect quilt! It is disappointing when you find you’ve still a ways to go but I think the extra row as you said will go quickly. Thank you for linking up with DrEAMI!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.