What Can I Say?

What can I say? What do we say? We can't say anything, except STAY HOME! I go through great sweeps of emotion. We have been in the house for 12 days now, or maybe it is 13. Long story short, we were 5 days into a 23 day holiday and made a quick dash home. As we had travelled internationally we are self isolating for 14 days. Being at home is ok. we have enough to keep us occupied. Then I watch the news and see the projected figures coming soon, the countries a week ahead of us. And I get frightened. Then I pick up my sewing or knitting and my heart rate returns to normal.



That is what hand sewing and knitting do for us. The gentle rhythm of the in and out, the gentle motion slows our heart rate, and calms us down. Or me anyway. And that's all we can do. With that in mind, here is my grace heart quilt designed by Sandra of mmmquilts. The quilt is known to me as The Big Hug.

I have finished the machine quilting. When we last spoke, I wasn't quite in love with the quilting. Now I am, it was a slow burner this quilting. The lilac shadow heart is simply quilted up and down in wavy straight lines, a foot apart. I had felt the variegated gutterman thread was a little dark, but Yvonne was right. Now it is finished, it is grand. The overall look is fine.


The white background, I decided to go with the flow. I followed the line of direction of whichever heart I was nearest. Sometimes, vertical, sometimes horizontal or diagonal. I am more than happy with this.

Most of the hearts I had already machine quilted. Some just have swirls.


Some have straight lines in various directions.



Some have hearts fmq on it in swirling formation.




When I finished my background quilting, I realised the large red heart at the bottom hadn't been quilted. That really wasn't intentional but seems rather as if it was. I looked at if for a few days, and brooded. It feels as if this red heart has become the mainstay of the quilt. It needs something special.

I feel drawn to hand embroidery, we all return to comfort things, things of the past when stressed. I don't know what it is, a simpler life, being self sufficient, hunkering to things of the past. I really don't know, but I did feel I wanted to hand stitch. So ......... this will be either the icing on the cake, or a bit of a dogs dinner.

I don't like hearts within hearts, that vortex isn't good for women with vertigo, it feels like a vortex that is going to draw me and I will tumble, tumble, tumble. I also think they are a bit childish in their design. So, with no great plan in mind, except for that, I started.

I did a heart swirl of French love knots along the right hand side. I was pleased with that, except the white love knots disappeared into the white polka dots in the top right hand quarter. I started adding a green line, a bit like a stem echoing the line of polka dots. I thought maybe this might be just a stem or maybe a line of tight little flowers. I added some leaves.



All of  a sudden it is turning, or will turn into a daisy chain. The daisy chain, although again unintended, is rather fitting. This quilt is for my sister, her birthday was in March. No rush, I don't know when we will get to meet again. When my sister was very tiny, barely more than a toddler, my mum went out to cut the grass. The grass was a sea of daisies, my parents didn't like using chemicals even then. Sister started to cry, don't cut the daisies, they will get hurt. My mum put the lawn mower away for another day. My sister doesn't remember this, but I do, so, a little bit weird that daisies are appearing in this quilt.



The embroidery was rather a rabbit hole to fall down. What Sandra refers to as a squirrel chasing a new idea in every direction, so if her sign up is still open, way to go.

I will finish off now,
keep safe, keep taking deep breaths and remember, STAY HOME.

Helen x

linking up with mmm! quilts
linking up with Tish's Adventures in Wonderland

Comments

  1. It definitely sounds like you have hit on just the right finishing touch for the quilt, Helen. I like that you gave it time and I especially love the connection back to an early memory of your sister. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen. I’ve finally found a way to respond to Blogger posts but I don’t think it’s linked to my Quilting is in my Blood blog. Anyway I totally agree with your Stay at Home message, and I really like your Big Hug quilt even though I’m generally not too much into hearts. I’m a little confused about how far apart the wavy lines are on the lilac shadow heart. The quilting looks awesome! Take care, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I see this beauty of yours, I think that maybe I should make one of these. I'm generally not much into hearts, but I do love this one. The little embroidery touches on the red heart are so unique and fun; love the daisy connection too with its little story. Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magnificent! Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I Love love love this quilt!! It’s so bright so cheery and how you’ve quilted it’s is divine and now the stitching!! Thank you for testing my pattern and making such a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous Big Heart, just what we all need just now. I understand your feelings watching the news, I feel on information overload and it’s so scarey, I still keep watching though. I’m making a huge effort from today to get things back to as normal as possible. Stay Safe Helen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.