The Squirrel Who Got Stung By A Bee

I say, I say, I say, have you heard the one about the squirrel who got stung by the bee?
He stopped chasing things like a squirrel and actually did something!


All joking apart, have you heard of the Great British Bake Off? A baking program now, I believe, shown around the world. Ten amateur bakers compete to be the Star Baker every week, losing one contestant every week. Well, the Great British Sewing Bee is just like this, only with sewing instead of cakes.


buzzy mama and daughter bee crocheted for me by my daughter's friend

A few years ago, when my daughter was in England for work, we set ourselves some fun. We both watched the program live, chatting on whatsapp. Every week, I made my version of the Star Bake. It was great fun, and for a year or two afterwards we kept up with the Star Bake, much to my dad's delight.

The Sewing Bee has never reached those dizzying heights but we do the same with it. Only thing is, it is approaching week 3. Week 1 my daughter had a really heavy cold, and this week I have had some sort of bug. Let us say, the bathroom and I were not unacquainted and I am now rather hoarse! Never mind, we will watch on catch up and normal service will be resumed.

But I prevaricate. I thought it would be fun to sew a long. Now, I am not a great dressmaker, but I will enter into the spirit of it. I thought I would sew something. Hence the squirrel. ~ About a year ago, I chased a squirrel and bought a pattern for a Coolcrafting Skye Tweed Wrap.


I bought nearly a kit. I bought the instructions, the felted wool fabric and the beautiful coconut buttons. I then couldn't wait to buy the perfect Liberty fabric for the lining. Oh, I couldn't wait until the next trip to London, and was so excited to get this. And then the squirrel went into hibernation or something.


We have a bit of a problem with squirrels in the UK. We had lovely native red squirrels then "somebody" thought it would be a good idea to bring some visiting larger grey squirrel cousins from the USA. The problem is they didn't get on. The grey squirrels being bigger and more shouty won out and the reds more or less disappeared. Recently the reds are starting to come back, with a lot of love and care. I think my squirrel was a red who went into hiding for a while! And then came the Sewing Bee who stung him on the tail and got him going again.

Anyhow, this red squirrel thought it was time to going again with this 20 minutes project. I laid it out like so, and stitched.

 
 
I pinned on the buttons, no button holes were necessary. I sewed on said buttons.

 
 
I hung said Wrap on a hanger, took a photo and that was that! It was a wrap!
 


 
 
 
 
I have worn it, but no photo as yet I am afraid, apart from this awful selfie. I just don't seem to have the knack!
 
I wore it into my local café where it was much admired. My local café owner is very creative, Therese of Linen and Latte, her instagram posts are lovely. @linenandlatte Therese is a very talented needlewoman herself, and carries a range of "sewing accoutrements" in her café. Which is where I bought the pattern for my next experiment. A pair of shorts. Watch this space. Or rather, don't hold your breath!
 
 
I nearly forgot to tell you how long it took me, my 20 min Skye Tweed Wrap. Well, it took me 40 mins including a cup of coffee, watching the rugby on tv and getting the dinner on! So that's a wrap. Here's a lovely picture of my late parents in law. My mother in law is wearing a coat, dress and hat ensemble that she made herself, back in the 1960s. One thing I do know is, she will have spent more than 40 minutes on that!
 
 
 
Helen x



Comments

  1. That is a beautiful wrap, and I love that you and your daughter do the challenges together. Such a wonderful bonding experience. Hope you have both recovered fully from your illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40 minutes?? How can something so lovely have been so quick? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. The fabrics work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful wrap! 40 minutes and time for coffee and diner not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen the Sewing Bee. I'll have to go looking for it. Your wrap is amazing. Can't believe it only took 40 minutes. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that old pic, and wow! I do love your wrap, which you made so fast(!!) and of course the LINING!! My mum would approve of a few things here, that you watch The Great British Bake Off (she loved it, and yes we get it across Canada) and that you have a bright lining. She ALWAYS went on about purses (handbags) needing to have a bright lining, HATED (yes all caps) the black linings they usually put in. (I suck at selfies too...) Thank you for linking up with DrEAMi! Yours is a perfect one! And YAY for the comeback of the red squirrels!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen, that wrap is LOVELY. It looks so chic, so well-done, so finished!!! Hope you stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen, I's lovely! So lovely that I checked out the pattern, and found some ancient tweed in my stash which would work really well. Who knows!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.