What's That Flying Overhead? A Pig?

Can pigs fly? Would you believe me if I say it is almost 3 weeks since I last blogged? Would you believe me if I said I have finished my What's Out The Window Quilt? Finished to the point of only needing the binding sewn down, and the ends buried. Admittedly this can take as long as sewing the actually quilt.


As of yesterday I have finished all the quilting! And the weather has turned so rotten, I can't get any decent photos. When I last checked in, I had finished all the white swirling background quilting. It took me a lot longer than I thought, maybe won't do that again! I had all the black squares swirled, I enjoyed that.


This week I outlined the windows and quatrefoil in a colour closest to the fabric in the quatrefoils. I then did a sort of diamond shape, an upturned V shape in the full depth of  each quartrefoil. And another, about 1.5" shorter than the previous.


That left the centre square, the heart of the window that the sun shines in. The original quatrefoil I had seen in Hezlett House (a National Trust property in Bessbrook, N Ireland), had the sun shining in so strong, it looked as if it was on fire.

 I was originally going to do a spirograph sort of thing. At a later date, I decided I liked the uncluttered look of the square, so I kept it simple. The red centres have a simple heart shape stitched on. The orange tones have a row of embroidery stitches from my sewing machine, in an orange thread. Some have hearts, some have flowers or trees. My favourite is the honeycomb. Unfortunately the light was so bad, the excitement will have to mount until next time.

So, no link up finish today for Finish It Up Friday, but maybe next Friday? Who knows. Who knows. My American son and his wife are flying in for a quick visit, there may not be much sewing done!

And the last three weeks? Flying my kite again! We had a quick trip to Paris. Paris, France, not Paris, Texas. We went with friends to watch a rugby match and had a ball. Lots of sitting in Paris cafes, drinking expresso coffee and trying to look Parisian. What's not to like? Paris was wonderful, and as I look at all the shuttered shops in our high streets, it was interesting that in "our street" in Paris, there were 2 restaurants, 3 cafes, a fish shop, a butchers, a vegetable and fruit shop, a shop selling gloves!!, a chocolatier (not a sweet shop, a chocolatier), 2 chemist shops, and a high end shop selling expensive sweets and a high end stationary shop. All in one little side street, not a special street, but just an ordinary street in Paris, with apartments above the shops. Here's a few photos to tantalise you.





speak again soon,
Helen x


Comments

  1. awe lovely France ❤️
    Lovely quilt too ... enjoy your boy, glad he got to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You quilt looks great! Nice job finishining it up. A quick trip to Paris. Hmm. In my dreams! Enjoy your sons visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paris maybe some day, I can always dream. Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's Out the Window? is looking so, so great! I love the triangle design in the quatrefoils, that looks like one of Angela Walter's "dot to dot" thingies. You're quilting just like famous people now, Helen. Except Angela doesn't just pop off to France spontaneously. That photo of the gourds would make a fun quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic progress. I hope you have a lovely visit with your son; working on this can certainly wait although it feels tantalizingly close to a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love France so Paris and rugby sounds just about perfect, just throw in a big plate of pastries and I'm there. Your quatrefoils are looking splendid and I especially like the triangle design bit- very clever! Good luck burying all those ends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are gonna have a finish before you know it! Love the quilting, it's been so much fun following along as this quilt has come together. Ah, Paris...would you believe I have actually been there? Many many many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.