I Blame It On Copernicus

I blame Copernicus. Nicholas Copernicus to be exact. Nicolaus Copernicus. The Polish astronomer who discovered or decided that the earth moves around the sun. I actually thought it was Galileo. I am not sure what he discovered, but he came first to mind.

I have slowly been chipping away at my Kingfisher Stitchalong.


 I am so far behind with this, it isn't really a stitchalong any more. I never intended finishing at the same time as others. Like many people I sew less in the summer than in the cooler months. I am happy enough to be in team tortoise for this. I did think I was plodding along quite happy. Lining my hexie flowers up on the diamond background.

But, I think, the earth has changed its axis, or altered its journey around the sun. It must have. What other explanation could there be for the hexies not being properly centered? They have all gone a bit skew wiff. I  blame Copernicus, I think his mathematical calculations were slightly off. It couldn't possibly be me. Look - they are all listing rather to the left.



I am not overly a perfectionist. I belong to the blind man galloping past on a horse school of perfectionism. I don't beat myself up about flaws, I think they are quirks, they add to the personality of  a quilt or whatever. Up to a point! As I have been stitching, they have obviously all shifted a few millimetres to the left. Before I went on holidays last week, I thought 5 of them were off centre. Too off centre for even me to live with. A little off is acceptable, so much movement as to trigger a vertigo attack is not.

As always, I took my hexies on holidays with me,  last week to Croatia. The sunshine  and the sun cream weren't  conducive to slip stitching with a teeny tiny size 7 quilting needle, so not too many came home completed, although I did knit a pair of socks.  Today I got them all out again. Strangely 2 of my original 5 now are ok. I must be listing to the left slightly as well!

I have another half dozen or so completed. Not as many as I thought I had.



To make the photo look as if there was any progress at all, I included the pinned diamonds. This time they are pinned to within an inch of their lives! I like how this is coming together.

 
 
 
There don't appear to be any more, even when I turn it sideways, as it progresses Copernicus style.
 
Unfortunately the pile of hexies waiting to be pinned is rather small too. Great things will happen. The earth wasn't built in a day, even if it revolves around the sun in a day.

 
They looked many more when I had them taped to my table in the garden!
 



One last thing, have you checked out the Meet and Greet with Benita? LOTS of blogs to check out, some I am friends with and some that are new to me.

https://benitaskinner.blogspot.com/2018/09/2018-online-quilters-meet-greet.html
 
Also a great prize draw. Check it out. You have time before the earth completes its journey around the sun.

https://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/fabric/


Helen x
linking with Beth Cooking Up Quilts
linking with Lorna Sew Fresh Quilts

Comments

  1. It's funny how things change, like how the size of a quilt top shrinks so dramatically when you stitch the blocks up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea that chap is probably responsible for there not being enough hours in the day too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your sense of humour and I always say a blind man would be happy to see these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that shot of all the hexies on the garden table. Can I sign up for the blind man school of perfection? Actually, I think I may have already graduated :) Keep stitching this quilt is going to be fantastic! I love all the little fabrics against the solid backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look good to me. Close enough for government work for sure! Remember...it's better to be finished than perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo of them on the table. It will still be a beautiful quilt off centre or not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you must blame someone, a dead man can handle it best! You're a stitch, dear Helen, and that's a compliment for a quilter!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny on the listing to the left, and then not! Depends on perspective, as so many things do in life, right? Either way I love how these are progressing, centred or skew whiff! And that's some tiny stitching, no wonder not a lot got done in Croatia (which I loved, 'travelling' along with you on IG).

    ReplyDelete
  9. So when you finish this you can call it"Copernicus was Wrong". :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.