My Quest for Self Improvement

Never too old to learn, is a good motto for life I think. And so my journey of self education into the world of fmq, free machine quilting, continues. I was so pleased with the loopy loops I fmq on the Sandra's Scraps, or Plus Playtime quilt, I finished the loops on the blue background cross.

 
 A day or two ago, I headed back into my lair to loop the loop in the cream background.
 

 
As I headed across the room, I made the mistake of turning my head. My eyes settled on the Quatrefoil quilt, and the guilt kicked in.
 
 
 Started before my grandson was born, this kind of needs to be gotten on with. He has a cot quilt,
 
 
 and a visiting granny quilt in Liberty, pattern from Purl Soho. 
 
 
 You know, every baby needs lots of quilts. He has a lovely quilt his mum made, plus some gorgeous knit and crochet blankets. But wahey, everybody needs quilty cuddles. We went to visit him last week, no finished quilt. We are having a family celebration soon, I predict no finished quilt. It will be Baby C's 1st birthday soon. I wouldn't place money on this being finished then either. And so, I sighed, shuffled the pluses to the back of the chair and picked up the What's Out The Window quilt. (just named that this second, not bad?)
 
I had been unsure what to do in the white backgrounds. I obviously didn't want to use a dark thread in the white, but I didn't want a light thread making a mess of the lovely space backing fabric. My words, not those of an independent member of the quilt police. Anyhow, I had to bite the bullet, so I started doing tiny loops in sort of rows, backwards and forwards across the white areas.




 
I kept going, not stopping to look until I had completed two full blocks.
 


 
Then I tenuously allowed myself to flip over to the dark side.
 
 
 
 
 
I love it! It looks like other people's quilting! It looks the way quilting should. Hard to explain, but it just looks right. I am singing from the rooftops. Life long learning is wonderful. Never too late to teach an old dog new tricks. You can teach your granny to suck eggs. All those old trite sayings and plenty more.
 
The irony is, I now am even further away from a finish than I ever was. The original quilting done two weeks ago in my first effort of fmq? It is all coming out. Every single stitch. Or most of it. My grandson deserves better than this. I need more quilting threads. I need more time.
 
This coming week is, hopefully, the week of our family celebration and a party to celebrate my son and daughter in law's recent wedding. There will be a frenzy of cleaning and baking towards the start of the week, then a frenzy of flower arranging towards the end. If the Queen wants to come to visit, my garden will never look so nice, my house will never be so tidy, and my cake tin is full. I put the marzipan on my Delia Smith celebration cake today. The smell of Drambuie would knock you out. If it doesn't taste great, everybody will be too knocked out to notice!  Tomorrow is icing day. I will have to clean the kitchen after!
 
By deciding to up my fmq game, not only is this quilt running behind schedule, but Sandra's Scraps will not be draping the garden furniture this coming week. The one thing about my previous quilting style was, it was less labour intensive. I am sure I will find a few other quilts to put out in the garden in the meantime.
 
Helen x

Comments

  1. Glad you're happy with your results! :) Very satisfying that!
    Sounds like a busy week head....I do like the sound of Drambuie cake...any room for gate crashers? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting post to read. I'm glad you've caught the fmq bug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU SAID IT ALL with " life long learning is wonderful" :) I've never been an expert at any aspect of quilting but just plugging on and learning and trying and not worrying about being perfect has always worked for me :) YOUR work is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done!! So glad that you're happy with the results. Who cares about the finish -- it's more important to be happy with a quilt. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it wonderful to be able to look at your fmqing results and love it. I find it fun and in a strange way relaxing. Have a great family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen! So glad to read you are getting more comfortable with your FMQ! You'll have that baby's quilt finished in no time at all. {{Hugs}} This just makes my heart happy! Have fun with your visitors!! Happy Sunday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your never too old to learn and try! FMQ for me is a challenge. I remind myself every single time that after a whas it'll be perfect...or perfect enough. It looks great and if you are happy with it then it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The white loops look fantastic! I hope it doesn't take too long to remove the other areas, and I am sure that however it gets finished it will be appreciated and loved. Hooray for learning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for a new skill! All that dense texture looks great in the white areas. So far, so good! You'll get faster as you do it more, if only because you'll find motifs that go faster and you'll change the density sometimes so it's looser. I had to force myself to learn how to do bigger patterns or every quilt would have taken forever. But the most important part is just getting started and being happy about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helen, all of your FMQ looks great! I especially like how you filled in around the larger loops and they really stand out. I wish I was as confident as you to just tackle it! I also admire how you pieced the backing of your Quatrefoil quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helen, it looks great! Keep stitching! Keep stitching! Although I'm going no don't rip the other out...just keep stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's very satisfying to master a new quilty skill. As for the unfinished quilt - get it done before baby is too old to appreciate it. Like the time I said and bought material to make my nieces wendy house curtains. She's 18 and the wendy house long gone. No curtains ever got made...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.