Izzy Wizzy Let's Get Busy

My head is all buzzy, it is fizzing with ideas and things. Too many things. I have various things all nearing completion. All not needing that much to finish them off. And today I am fired up. Virtual friends have their place in life, regardless of what the government studies say. Today my virtual instagram friend, Joanne, posted a video clip on how to change your pfaff foot to the free machine foot. I asked her to send me a photo of her sewing machine, and she very kindly posted a whole video and linked me to it. Now I can change my foot. The weird thing is, I was doing it right all along, it just wasn't working for me, kept falling off. And trust me, you really don't want your foot to fall off when you are in the zone.

Now I had to find something to quilt. Not a problem. First up is the quatrefoil quilt ( I have already been straight line quilting Postcards).



I decided to quilt loops or circles in the blue quatres (?) of the windows. It really didn't work in the pale blue, the navy is far too strong. I have a limited amount of aurifil quilting threads. It is very good quality but at the pricy end of the spectrum. As I never considered I did proper quilting, I wasn't too worried. Now I am "proper" quilting, I need proper thread. I have navy, yellow and for some reason a red, white and blue thread. Why on earth did I ever buy that? I also have some blue variegated thread and some green, but I think they are too thick for my domestic machine.

So, using my massive powers of intellect, I used the navy thread in the windows that had navy views. Some of my circles are a little skew wiff , not quite circular, but not bad for a first attempt.


Next up I did some navy wavy lines through the black window frames. So far so good. It has all worked well, and the navy behaves itself on the black backing.



Now it becomes a little more complicated. The pale blue with the navy quilting looks a mess, like a small child was scribbling. I feel a little unpicking may be in order here.

 
 To use a paler thread, this will show up so much more on the backing. Now I realise why other quilters have a proper quilting design that shows up on the back as well as the front. The paler threads will also have to be some standard cheap and cheerful sewing threads until I get organised in the quilting thread front. It will be interesting to see the difference.

I have some proper quilting thread that goes from cream to taupe to fawn, I am thinking of using it in the white background. This is all new to me. A whole new exciting window has opened! I will see my grandson, and his mum and dad, in mid July. Looks as if I might be on for a finish!

And a word of warning, I will be reading everybody's blogs now looking for quilting tips.

Helen x
linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts and Let's Bee Social
linking up with Cooking Up Quilts and Main Crush Monday . Beth has a beautiful epp quilt featured in her blog this week.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad that the timing worked out so well to get you confident in changing out your sewing machine foot. As for quilting tips: my biggest is to doodle with pencil and paper. A lot. My mantra is "If I can draw it, I can quilt it." You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty quilt. How great you got that foot figured out and are off and running! Have fun! Practi, practice, practice is key!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always nice to be able to get the foot on and keep it there. I see a wole lot of doodling and practicing in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fabric choices in this - makes for a striking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you'll keep us posted on how each brand of thread works out for you. I started with Aurifil and it worked well, so I'm hesitant to change. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Except I'm cheap and it's expensive thread. And it doesn't always work, some colors break and shred for some reason.

    Meanwhile, it's great to see this quilt starting to come to life! It's such a great pattern and I love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck. You can do it. You need to experiment with different threads to find out which one your machine loves. I use cotton Essential Thread by Connecting Threads (which my Pfaff Grand Quilter loves, but my friend's Pfaff does not like) and Aurifil. I also use Guttermann.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.