Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge ~ Week 52, The Final Instalment

Literally just sneaking in under the wire is my last read of 2015. A Christmas read, "Christmas On Primrose Hill" by Karen Swan. I must admit I struggled with this beginning of this book. Really didn't like it. Took me 2 days to get into it, but I bought it, I had to keep going. Nobody likes a quitter. You begin something you have to see it through. You joined it, you got the uniform, you keep at it. What is it about New Year and reflection that brought all the mantras my mother recited through my childhood?



And so like a good girl guide that I am, I persevered to the end. I am glad I did. Instead of writing the review I planned on why had chick lit got so disappointing? Had I outgrown the genre? Had I just nothing in common with the authors, post 50? Instead of this ... I ended up in tears by the penultimate chapter. Probably helped along by the fact that James Taylor was singing "You've Got A Friend" in our living room. Very good of him, being New Year's Eve and all that.

Anyhow, this ended up a cracker of a story and not the hamster wheel story I thought. But sorry I can't tell you the plot, except it starts off with office colleagues, drinking, lots of internet, ig, and web chats. But I did learn some new words, meme, planking, owling, blakeing. And none of these are things I have ever done. And I've heard the word meme twice since.

So, as I have now have page dedicated to my book challenge, I now have a total,
TA DA ..... DRUM ROLL

this is book no 38

except I forgot to review "The Girl On The Train" by Paula Hawkins. Weird that, I could have sworn I had written my review. Must have just written it in my head. Blame it on my age. Excellent book, good twist except I guessed the twist at the end. Must have read too many murders in my time. Still a good book though.
And this makes no 39




I never expected to read over 52. I had no idea how many books I read in a year and was interested to find out. My bestie, Liz thewheelontheschoolhouse has read well over her 52, as has my daughter. I'd hoped for 45 or so, but 39 is ok. Especially as I didn't count my rereads of Sherlock Holmes and Rumpole of the Bailey whilst in Italy last year. Didn't like to count rereads. I have lost count of how many times I have read these, my go to  for planes, trains and automobiles. But not the automobiles, that would make me sick in the car.

And with that I will finish. Thank you for joining me. Happy new year's eve, and I look forward to sharing my reads again next year.  No doubt I will still be reading both my own books and those circulated between my friends Liz and Anne.

And how will I spend my New Year's Eve? With a book of course, a glass of red wine and the Bard of Barking, Billy Bragg strumming his guitar on the stereo, probably "Handyman".

Helen x
linking up with read52booksin52weekschallenge

Comments

  1. You see, our mothers' mantras about finishing what you started (Brownies, choir etc) are worth sticking to! I see 'Girl on the train' is being made as a film, maybe an outing for later this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! I finished just one novel over Christmas and really enjoyed the time out from all the getting ready. You've inspired me to take up reading again as a way to relax. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel such a slacker with my lazy tv habits - I'll follow your example this year:-) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay well you and I are together in your head because I could swear you wrote a review because I got that book out of our library, read it, and thought it good, just the ending was a bit predictable and too neat. Good for you for getting 52...don't think I've ever, except in my youth when I had my nose in a book ALL the time, read over 50. Only half that many this year, rather dismal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.