52 Books in 52 Weeks - Week 38 Rivers of London by Ben Aaranovitch

Last weeks book was rather appropriate because I was actually in London, reading "Rivers Of London". Although to be honest, I only got reading in the airport and plane both ways. Well actually only in the airport. I have the lucky knack of falling asleep before even the plane takes off. I have been known to ask " are we only taking off now?" when we are in fact landing.


Sometimes it is good to mix it up a little, sometimes it is good to live an ordered life. I am secretly more ordered than my family thinks. I like to read books in sequence. The eagle eyed amongst you may remember I previously read a Ben Aaronavitch "Foxglove Summer" but it was a little like entering a conversation half way through. It turned out we had the first in the series in the house, so it would have been rude not to read it. And now "Foxglove Summer" made sense.

"Rivers Of London" introduces the characters, namely Peter Grant, the policeman and wizard's apprentice, Inspector Nightingale the police wizard and Lesley , Peter's police colleague. It also explained who Beverley Brook is, she is really a river. I found that very confusing in "Foxglove Summer". I was reading thinking, is she meant to be a river or what? Turns out she is.

I loved this book. I loved the London locations. I loved the sense of history. I took a peek in at the remembrance garden of St Paul's Covent Garden. (the actors' church, not the Cathedral). It really made the book relevant and I loved this. I don't know if I will read them all, but I probably will. I'm a bit ordered like that. I like to finish something I start, another work in progress list I suppose.

Helen x
linking up with 52booksin52weekschallenge
ps would anyone with half an hour to spare like to check back and see how many books I have read? I haven't gotten round to putting all these blog posts in the gallery yet, nor keeping count!
pps book group again this week in work , a Jo Nesbo novel, can't remember which one

Comments

  1. I'll have to download this on my kindle. It sounds like the sort of book I'd like

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking of 'Rivers of Babylon' by your favourite band....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.