It Was Alright When It Left Us

"It was alright when it left us". That's what we say here in Belfast. The Titanic was built in Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast and it was ok when it left Belfast. This mini quilt was ok when I finished it. (I call ready for binding finished). It was perfectly square. The most perfect quilt I ever made, albeit 12" square. And then I tried to add the binding and it all went wrong.


As I mentioned before, this year I joined my local guild. I haven't got to all of the meetings, but I have tried to participate whenever I can. The N Ireland Patchwork and Quilting  guild is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, their ruby anniversary. Every year they have a joint exhibition with the Irish Patchwork Society called Hands Across the Border. To celebrate the NI 40th anniversary, this year's theme is "ruby serendipity".


By total coincidence my son and daughter in law gave me this Liberty kit at Christmas, with what seemed to be a ruby fabric. The fabrics inside did not fit the brief, nor match the cover (note, never judge a kit by its cover!).

 You may however remember I have a reasonably large selection of small amounts of Liberty fabric. I just happened to have the cover fabric, perfect for the ruby celebrations, so on Friday I decided to make a start.



The serendipity? My mother and father loved the Liberty store in Regent St in London. They met when living in London and used to go to Liberty on a Sunday afternoon to people watch. Dad said although they couldn't afford to buy there, there was plenty to see. The shop is rather eccentric. In turn I met a boy and when we went to London for weekends, we too fell in love with Liberty, as did my kids. And .... my daughter in law who is English, loves Liberty. Liberty is my Serendipity. A happy happenstance of happy things coming together.


The actual square came together very easily.


 Not a wrinkle or missed point in sight.


I decided to use the green and white spot for the backing.


 I just simply quilted in the ditch using a cream aurifil thread. Still perfect, though I say it myself. I cut the red and white spot and went for my tea. After that brief interlude, I lifted the spot and started to sew. I lifted the wrong strip, it was too short and so decided to add the orange spot too. As this is to be an exhibition piece, I mitred the join. That was even ok.




I think it went wrong as I rounded the corner on two wheels, throwing up dust as I went. I hate corners. I get nervous on the approach and always make a bit of a pig's ear of the stopping, turning and folding thingy. On a big bed quilt or even a lap quilt I can usually get away with it. Not this time. Its a mess. I pulled it, pushed it, stretched it. That bottom line is still all crinkly. I am presuming it is because the corners are turned too tight. So ....... tomorrow I will unpick and try again. It has to go right tomorrow. I can't go to guild next week, so I am posting it to a friend. . (I say friend. Jo is a girl I met in my phone who turned out to be a real person and is thankfully neither mad nor an axe murder person)

So. This was my squirrel for this month. An idea which interrupted everything else, and I ran with it. I am still running with it. Or running after it.



I will leave you with the gratuitous shot of my new Liberty acquisition. I have another special baby  quilt to make in the next few months. I wanted a neutral print, I thought this was green with a hint of blue, to which I would add a touch of pink. Turns out its pretty blue all over. Use what I have, or shopping opportunity? The jury is out on this.


 
 
Helen x

Comments

  1. Those Liberty prints are so pretty! I enjoyed your story about the family connections, and would love to go there sometime myself. Hope you can get that binding to behave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that it goes well after the unpicking. I could just imagine you squealing around a corner on two wheels trying your best to get done as quickly as possible with the task you least love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetie, look up on the internet how to mitre those corners correctly - they should finish as 90 degree angles and not the 45 degree angle that you've got- once you've got it figured and done it right it will always be a breeze, and you can take your corners slow and enjoy the view. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking those corner too fast will do you in every time.:) Hopefully the unpicking and doing with all four wheels on the ground will help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely little ruby star! If you scowl fiercely at the binding as you go around the corners, that often helps. If I was close by, I'd come over and do the binding for you. Alas, Florida is a bit of a jaunt. Best of luck, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee hee, I love that description ...... “squealing round the corner on two wheels”! But isn’t that always the way? The binding is the last jobbie to do, and you always want it finished yesterday! Well I know I do!
    One of the best tutes I’ve seen for binding is on Amanda’s bloggie “Crazy Mom Quilts”, just google binding.
    Your star is lovely! Thoroughly enjoyed the tale about your family connection to Liberty! Maybe I’ll bump into you there one day?
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful block. Hopefully the binding goes better next time around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My advice is that you slow down and breathe when you get to those corners. It is a lovely little ruby quilt. Good luck with the second attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess rushing the bits you don't like is better than just endlessly putting them off (looking at Mr SewSlowly here). Good luck on your second go; it is a lovely little quilt and worth the bother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's on my bucket list is a trip to Liberty. Now, sorry to be so dense, but is Liberty a district or just the shop itself? I love (but you knew I would) the latest acquisition! Your ruby block is sweet, rumpled and all, but I know you will unpick and fix. Thank you for linking up with Drop Everything And Make it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.