Time to Light Those Fires

Well hello there, it's been a while. A week or so anyhow. Like the White Rabbit, I have had no time for anything. Well, no time for blogging. It has been a funny couple of weeks, 4 funerals within as many weeks, a long goodbye to an old friend who is emigrating down under, and 3 trips away within a month. Busy indeed. Now we enter a period of quiet, and hopefully some catch up time.

Speaking of catch up, I did swear no sew a longs this year, far too much going on. And, then like all people true to their word, I joined a sew a  long, and just as promptly fell behind. Tish's sew a  long
is, she persuaded me, easy only one block a month and finish at year end. So why then was I three blocks behind within three months?



Apart from Tish being a lovely person, I had to join in because it is a Fireburst Mystery Quilt. It's a mystery, that's the point, but I assume it is sort of fireworks, or even bursts of fire. Around about this time, I was thinking I might make a 4th July thingy for myself. As we are forging close family links with the USA, it would be nice to decorate for 4th July, Thanksgiving etc. Not a full stars and stripes flag hanging out in the garden, you understand. Heaven knows we have enough problems in N Ireland over flags without me muddying the waters even more. But - a little nod to our American Cousins as James Bond would say. By chance I even had the perfect fabric, gifted to me a few eons ago.



So, we have the piecing for July. A small flock of geese and assorted other shapes. So far so good.


Next up is August. A little more complicated but still within my realms of capabilities. Curious as to how this quilt will evolve.



And now we have September. Tish said this would take a little longer. And it did. Two whole afternoons.

 

 Firstly this naughty patchwork elf who lives in our house has made some of my geese go the wrong way round. The background fabric and the navy flag fabric have switched positions in the bag. Have I done it again? Muddled my foreground and background? Or simply just not made enough geese? I could go back to the original instructions and check this out. Or I could simply make some more. This is where the extra scrappy fabrics came in handy.

 The pale background with red and blue stars has come in to play. I am hoping that when the blocks all go together, this will be ok. Hard to tell when it is a mystery quilt! I am trying to ensure that the scrappy components are at least the same in each block. Time will tell!

Helen x

Comments

  1. It's looking good! I think you will be just fine and this will make for a wonderful fire burst! I'm in LOVE with the red background. It does sound like you have been hopping busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! If you hang out the stars and stripes, that will really confuse them, they won't know who is supposed to be offended!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you back in the saddle and bursting fire all over the place! It's funny to me that you'll be making a quilt with very American fabrics before I will :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great and congratulations for getting caught up. I am sorry to hear you had so many funerals to attend in a row. I do hope that things settle in and you can enjoy some beautiful fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never enough time to do all the things we want or plan on doing. Your blocks look good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen! You have had a LOT of your plate this month. And getting ready for this month as well, so I think everyone gives you a break on being slightly behind. I mixed up my pieces too - even with labels on them. Oops! Oh well, it will be fun to see how these blocks go together. And James Bond is my absolute favorite!!! We visited Ireland - Dublin and the Bay of Fundy stick out in my memory along with my first Guinness beer. I would love to visit again. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I messed up on that step too! Even had to recut and my fabric supplier is not great so I was happy that I had just enough. Yours is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely fabrics here - especially those stars.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.