Stash Bee, Hive 2 March

Bee blocks for Yanick

Yanick, who blogs as sewnwithcurves blog, chose economy squares for her March block. Instead of one larger block, she asked for 2 smaller ones. She also requested that we left them untrimmed, and that she would cut and remove the papers herself. Yanick keeps a rotary cutter especially for her epp projects.

I have never made economy blocks before but have always been drawn to them. Maybe its the name, making me feel frugal. The prospect of epp and points always put me off. But live dangerously is a good motto, both the bees I am in used epp this month! I found the linked tutorial Yanick recommended very clear in its explanation and managed without any great difficulties. Though, Yanick will probably chuckle when she sees my first attempt involved a little ripping out and resewing. I also left them attached to the entire page, which looks a little scruffy. Perhaps I was a little afraid it was only the paper holding them together?





I tried to use fussy cuts which were special to me. When I was a little girl, I loved and feared the story of Little Red Riding Hood, Grimm's Fairy Tales at their best. I have always loved ladybirds (ladybugs) and lots of ladybirds in the garden are a sign of a good ecological balance - here's hoping. And the purple and red hats represent my favourite poem, which I link in at every opportunity, "Warning" by Jenny Joseph.

Karen from one of the other bees, requested we told a little about ourselves, my name is Helen, I'm a middle aged wife and mum of three now adult children. Besides sewing, I love reading, gardening, drinking wine and making friends!

Yanick asked who are favourite designers are, like many others I love Carolyn Friedlander, Tula Pink, and some of the whimseys, Aneela Hoey and Heather Ross.

Hoping Yanick is happy with these blocks, and looking forward to seeing her completed quilt!

Helen
x

Comments

  1. Love your blocks Helen, if I'm allowed a favourite it would have to be Red Riding Hood, love the colours in it and the pretty print.
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such lovely unusual fabrics in your stash and they work well in these blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. These will piece to make a gorgeous quilt. Love the soft creamy muted colours in contrast with the brights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are just beautiful! Love the combinations. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the centres especially little red riding hood - very cute! I have rotary just for paper piecing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks are lovely Helen...I love the fabric choices (especially little red riding hood) and the mix of colours :)
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend (it's raining and grey in our corner!)
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment, I try very hard to reply to them all.